The Role of Families and Family Policy in Supporting Youth Transitions
The Doha International Family Institute (DIFI), a member of Qatar Foundation for Education, in collaboration with the Division for Inclusive Social Development of the Department of Economic and Social affairs (UNDESA) and the International Federation for Family Development (IFFD), is organizing an Expert Group Meeting on “The Role of Families and Family Policy in Supporting Youth Transitions” to be held 11-12 December 2018 in Doha, Qatar.
The primary objective of the EGM is to bring together international experts to discuss the role of families in supporting youth transitions from school to work and, ultimately, youth employment outcomes in order to achieve SDGs. The EGM attempt to address the following questions:
- How do families influence youth career and employment decisions and outcomes? How do family structural variables (e.g., parental occupation, education, poverty) and family process variables (e.g., family involvement, parenting, support, and expectations) influence career development and outcomes for young people?
- How has family support affected job search dynamics among youth and under what conditions has this helped youth secure better jobs?
- What policies can help reinforce the family’s role in supporting their youth’s transition from school to work and help address youth employment challenges?
- What family policies might reinforce youth employment policies and help countries to improve youth outcomes, towards youth-related SDG targets (targets 4.4, 8.5 and 8.6)?
A minimum of twenty experts will participate in the expert group meeting. Experts will include academics, and practitioners in the fields of youth, family policy, social integration, economics, and social policy.
Experts will be asked to provide a paper, make a short presentation, participate in discussions and give their expert opinions and policy recommendations.
Background papers (5-7 pages, single-spaced, excluding references and statistical tables) prepared by each expert on issues in the annotated agenda, including policy recommendations.
Event is open for public
Instant interpretation is available
Event program – click here
EGM Photo Gallery – Click here
Event’s proceedings – Click here
Supporting Papers and Presentations
- Alex Vasquez Paper
- Alex Vasquez Presentation
- Alcinda Honwana presentation
- Filip DeBoeck Paper
- Heidi Ullmann Paper
- Hernan Cuervo Paper
- Ignacio Socias – Initial Remarks
- Ingrid Schoon Paper
- Luay Shabaneh Observations on Youth
- Marge Unt Paper
- Mo Adefaso Paper
- Dr. Nathalie Milbach – Bouché Paper
- Dr. Nathalie Milbach – Bouché Presentation
- Nicolas Zill Paper
- Nicolas Zill Presentation
- Pablo Suarez Robles Paper
- Renata Kaczmarska Paper
- Mihaela Robila Paper
- Liudmila Batura presentation
- Yan Ruth Xia Presentation
- Yan Ruth Xia Paper
- Wei-Jun Jean Yeung paper