Overall Conference Objectives
- To focus on research, theory and practices to advance our knowledge of the Arab family.
- To highlight the role of the family as a defining force in shaping society, focusing on regional trends, areas of strength and resilience and challenges affecting families in Arab countries.
- To examine the role of policy in supporting the family and to consider global issues which impact the Arab family, either positively or negatively, from a multidisciplinary perspective.
- To engage with scholars and practitioners on discussions that analyze mutually beneficial practices within the context of family policy.
- Political, economic, and cultural challenges facing the Arab family in different regions of the Arab world.
- Marriage and divorce in the Arab world; responses to challenges in terms of marriage practices (such as misyar, ‘urfi, mut’aa, mixed, marriage of minors, and living together-apart marriages); the causes and consequences of separation and divorce.
- The role of state policies on family formation and stability, including the effect of the absence of such policies.
The conference will include panel sessions with invited senior researchers, renowned key note speakers, symposia where selected papers will be presented.